Diagnosis and treatment of metastatic and castration resistant prostate cancer became more and more and complex due to the increasing knowledge and understanding of the underlying molecular events and the subsequently deducted innovative medical treatment.
Modern imaging studies in CRPC have become more selective and currently include positron emission tomography, whole body magnetic resonance imaging, immunoscintigraphy besides the traditional studies such as bone scans and computed tomography.
Metabolic and Prostate-Specific Antigen Response After Abiraterone Acetate Withdrawal: A New Clinical Scenario for Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer?
Orazio Caffo, Antonio Palermo, Antonello Veccia, Francesca Maines, Franca Chierichetti, Enzo Galligioni
Clinical Genitourinary Cancer, 4, 11, pages e10 - e14
Although so far there is only case based evidence, this may be an interesting phenomenon.
Long-term Survival and Biomarker Correlates of Tasquinimod Efficacy in a Multicenter Randomized Study of Men with Minimally Symptomatic Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
A.J. Armstrong, M. Häggman, W.M. Stadler, J.R. Gingrich, V. Assikis, J. Polikoff, J.E. Damber, L. Belkoff, Ö. Nordle, G. Forsberg, M.A. Carducci, and R. PiliClinical Cancer Research, Volume 19, Issue 24, 15 December 2013, Pages 6891-6901.
In this randomized phase-II study Tasquinimod demonstrated superiority over placebo in mCRPC patients with bone metastases. Further evaluation of this anti-angiogenetic compound in CRPC patients is reasonable.
K.A. Ahmed, B.M. Barney, B.J. Davis, S.S. Park, E.D. Kwon, K.R. Olivier.Frontiers in Oncology (2013), 2 JAN Article Number: Article 215. Date of Publication: 2013
In the past, radiotherapy for bone metastases in CRPC was only indicated when pain was prevalent. With newer radiation techniques this paradigm may change. In this small study 53 % of patients received an undetectable PSA nadir. Further evaluation of this strategy seems warranted.
Carmel J. Pezaro, Aurelius Omlin, David Lorente, Daniel Nava Rodrigues, Roberta Ferraldeschi, Diletta Bianchini, Deborah Mukherji, Ruth Riisnaes, Amelia Altavilla, Mateus Crespo, Nina Tunariu, Johann S. de Bono, Gerhardt Attard
European Urology, 2, 65, pages 270 - 273
Visceral metastases in CRPC have been underdiagnosed in the past. Routine imaging studies to detect liver and lung metastases are warranted in these patients.
Enzalutamide in Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer Patients Progressing After Docetaxel and Abiraterone
Andres Jan Schrader, Martin Boegemann, Carsten-H. Ohlmann, Thomas J. Schnoeller, Laura-Maria Krabbe, Turkan Hajili, Florian Jentzmik, Michael Stoeckle, Mark Schrader, Edwin Herrmann, Marcus V. Cronauer
European Urology, 1, 65, pages 30 - 36
Although hampered by the small sample size, this study gives a first impression on cross resistance betwen new AR targeted agents.
About the editors
- Professor Miller has been Chairman and Professor of Urology for the Department of Urology at the Benjamin Franklin Medical Center, Berlin, Germany, since 1993. In 2007 he became Chairman of the Department of Urology for the entire Charité (Campus Benjamin Franklin, Campus Mitte and Campus Virchow Klinikum). With more than 6000 in-patients per year, the Dep. of Urology at the Charité is one the largest urologicals clinics in Europe.
- Prof Axel S. Merseburger is currently Vice Chairman of the Department of Urologic Oncology, as well as Director of the Urologic Oncology Programme at Hannover Medical School, Germany. Professor Merseburger obtained his medical degree from Hannover Medical School in 2002 following a 1-year academic research programme in Washington D.C., USA, where he finished his M.D. thesis.
- Feb 20155Feb 20157E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feb 20157Feb 201510Contact: European School of Urology (ESU) Tel.: +31 26 389 0680 Fax: +31 26 389 0674 E-mail: email@example.com
- Apr 201523Apr 201526
- May 201529Jun 20152Contact: ASCO Tel.: +1 571 483 1300 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jun 201527Jun 201529Contact: Canadian Urological Association Tel.: +1 514 392 7703 Fax: +1 514 227 5083 E-mail: email@example.com
- Jun 201528Jul 201530Contact: ICS Offi ce Tel.: +44 117 944 4881 Fax: +44 117 944 4882 E-mail: info@icsoffi ce.org
- Jul 20155Jul 201511Salzsburg, Austria Contact: European School of Urology (ESU) Tel.: +31 26 389 0680 Fax: +31 26 389 0674 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sep 20153Sep 20155Alicante, SpainContact: Congress Consultants B.V. Tel.: +31 26 389 1751 Fax: +31 26 389 1752 E-mail: email@example.com
- Sep 201523Sep 201526Contact: DGU Tel.: +49 211 516 0960 Fax: +49 211 516 0960 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org